The Institute of Physical Electronics (IPE) is one of the four divisions of Department of Electronics, which was founded in 1959 and has contributed significantly to the development of electronics industry in China since then. Mainly based on IPE, Key Laboratory of Physics and Chemistry of Nanodevices was founded in 2003, and the Center for Carbon based Nanoelectronics was founded in 2015. Currently the Institute has 29 faculty members including 9 full professors and 13 associated professors. Among them, there are 1 CAS member, 1 Changjiang Professor, 2 recipients of Distinguished Young Scholars of NSFC, 2 recipients of Excellent Young Scholars of NSFC, 1 recipient of National Thousand Talents Plan, and 2 recipients of National Thousand Talents Plan for Distinguished Young Scholars.
Research at the Institute is directed towards understanding the fundamental physics and solving the key issues of nanodevices. Major research areas include:
(1) Fabrication, characterization and simulation of nanomaterials and nanodevices,
(2) Carbon-based nano-electronic devices and integrated circuits,
(3) Novel quantum nano-devices,
(4) Molecular electronic devices,
(5) Nano optoelectronic devices and solar cells.