Peking University Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship Call for Applications 2019
Founded in 1898, Peking University was initially named as the Imperial University of Peking, whose establishment marked the threshold of modern Chinese higher education. Now with a community of over 40, 000 students, faculty members and staff from a variety of cultural backgrounds, Peking University has become a vibrant and internationalized institution in promoting teaching and academic studies.
Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship, initiated by Peking University in 2016, aims at drawing prospective young talents all over the world to conduct postdoctoral research and pursue academic excellence at Peking University, Beijing, China. It offers young researchers opportunities to conduct research in diverse branches of learning such as natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, economy and management, information and engineering, and interdisciplines.
In the academic year of 2019, no more than 200 fellowships will be awarded to highly qualified, early-career postdoctoral researchers. Each Fellowship is awarded for 24 consecutive months. Each Fellowship includes annual salary185,000RMB, social insurances and housing subsidies, etc 91,000RMB, and 60,000RMB subsidy for postdocs with on postdoc flats.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
The fellowship is open to highly qualified researchers of all nationalities who received their PhD no more than three years prior to the deadlines of the corresponding calls, as is instructed below. Researchers holding a tenure or tenure-track faculty position are not eligible to apply.
Selection is based on the academic excellence of the applicant, the quality of the proposed research project, compelling demonstration of the anticipated synergy of the proposed research project and the host institution, and the commitment of postdoctoral supervisor at Peking University. The excellent research proposal should include information on how the project will benefit from the research environments of Peking University.
The applicants must identify one faculty member at Peking University who will serve as a postdoctoral supervisor and get his/her written endorsement. The number of the fellowships is limited to no more than 200 for 2019 academic year and will be awarded through two rounds of application and selection in 2019. No more than 140 fellowships will be awarded for the first round and no more than 60 fellowships will be awarded for the second round.
· January 15 to March 15, 2019: call for applications.
· April 1, 2019: preliminary evaluation decisions by schools, departments, institutes or Centers of Peking University
· Late April , 2019: publicity period and final award decisions
· September 1 to October 15, 2019: call for applications.
· November 5, 2019: preliminary evaluation decisions by schools, departments, institutes or Centers of Peking University
· Late November, 2019: publicity period and final award decisions
All application documents must be prepared in Chinese or English and include the following:
· Application Form of Peking University Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship(see the attached document);
· Two recommendation letters (including one from the applicant’s doctoral supervisor), the letters should be sent to the corresponding coordinators(see the table below) directly by the referees;
· One explicit endorsement letter by the postdoc supervisor at Peking University including detailed information on the added value for the research project and a clear statement of commitment regarding the physical and intellectual research environment that the supervisor will provide to the fellow;
Round One: March 15, 2019
Round Two: October 15, 2019
The complete application should be saved as one file in pdf format. Please submit it by email to the corresponding coordinator (see tables below) in the potential postdoctoral supervisor’s schools, departments, institutes and centers. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Postdoctoral Affairs Coordinators and Contact Information
in Schools, Departments, Institutes or Centers of Peking University
Schools, Departments, Institutes or Centers
School of Mathematical Sciences
Zhao Jing (Ms)
School of Physics
Pan Qing (Ms)
College of Chemistry
Niu Lin (Ms)
School of Life Sciences
Ruan Xiaojuan (Ms)
College of Urban and Environmental Sciences
Xu Wenjun (Ms)
School of Earth and Space Sciences
Wang Xinru (Ms)
School of Psychological and Cognitive Sciences
Zhao Xin (Ms)
School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science
Sun Xiaokun (Ms)
School of Engineering
Yan Jing (Ms)
Institute of Computer Science & Technology
He Chuan (Ms)
College of Environmental Science and Engineering
Shi Junyan (Ms)
Wang Rongjing (Ms)
Department of Chinese Language and Literature
Jiang Bing (Ms)
Department of History
Qin Xiaomeng (Ms)
School of Archaeology and Museology
Fang Xiaotian (Ms)
Department of Philosophy
Duan Rui (Mr)
School of Foreign Languages
Zhang Linna (Ms)
School of Arts
Li Tingting (Ms)
School of International Studies
Pan Rongying (Ms)
School of Economics
Li Mei (Ms)
Guanghua School of Management
Jia Yu (Ms)
Huang Chen (Ms)
Department of Information Management
Li Yang (Mr)
Department of Sociology
Cui Jia (Ms)
School of Government
Zhao Kai (Mr)
School of Marxism
Li Xin (Mr)
Graduate School of Education
Ge Changli (Ms)
School of Journalism and Communication
Institute of Population Research
Wang Deli (Mr)
National School of Development
Xing Guiying (Ms)
Academy for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies
Gong Siyuan (Ms)
Institute of Molecular Medicine
Liu Jian (Ms)
The Kavli Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics
Liu Lili (Ms)
Beijing International Center for Mathematical Research
Lu Ningbo (Ms)
You Yuhua (Ms)
Postdoctoral Affairs Office, Peking University
Fan Deshang (Mr); Xu Qian (Ms)
1. Please direct all further inquiries to the coordinators listed in the tables above.
2. Postdoctoral Fellows may choose to register at the Office of China’s National Postdoctoral Affairs Management Committee to have access to China’s postdoctoral funds and other special privileges.
3. International postdoctoral fellows will have to sign an agreement with Peking University to initiate the visa application procedure before conducting their postdoctoral research at PKU.
4. Postdocs at Peking University may apply for Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship if the termination date of his/her contract is no more than six months prior to the deadlines of the corresponding rounds